About Me

My photo
I started my career in the insurance protection business with Allstate in August 1994, and have elevated our agency to one of the best in the business. I am married, live in Georgetown, and just enjoy life. I attended Stephen F. Austin State University and Texas A&M University, and graduated with a BS in Physics and Mathematics.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's more important - my cable bill or my family?

So what's more important to YOU - watching TV or making sure your family will be ok financially if something were to happen to you?

We often get into our daily routines and spending money on the things that make us "feel good". We enjoy nice meals eating out on a regular basis, a visit to a local bar for a drink or two with a friend, or making sure that we have so many channels at home that channel surfing should be a sport! It is rare that you will run across a family anymore that does not have a TV. In fact, the average household has more TVs than people. And, of course, there is a cable or satellite bill associate with it.

As an insurance agent, I like to help people, and I like to help people understand that protecting their family is very important. Let's face it, people die everyday - some expected, but many unexpected. We generally find that less than 12% of families have adequate life insurance. Sure, many people have small life insurance policies through their work, but that is usually only enough to cover some final expenses and medical bills and a few months of the family's then missing income. People do not always think about the additional cost of care for children, or elderly parents, or college funding, or ongoing income that the deceased spouse would have generated. The part I find saddening is that outside of this 12% is a remaining 88% that find eating out or watching TV to be a higher priority than taking care of their financial responsibilities to their family.

So today, after reading this, take a moment to put yourself in your spouse's shoes, and ask yourself if you have done all that you can to protect them if you are gone. Then, later today, look into their eyes and think about your answer...I hope you feel good about it.

Protect your family. It's important.

Bryan Jamison